Wednesday, August 02, 2006

D&J (And David B.)

D and I kept each other awake through psych100. When she pointed out a certain boy in first year biology, and asked did I think he was hot, I said something like, "J? Huh? Hot?", and she said, "What, you know him?", and I said, "Yeah, we went to high school together." So I was recruited to make some stupid excuse to go to his apartment, and she would tag along, they'd hit it off, get married and live happily ever after. Or something like that. Ten minutes into our visit, they disappeard into his kitchen to bond over sunflower seeds and beer. I spent the evening in his living room, listening to J's remarkable record collection.

And that's how I discovered David Bowie.

14 comments:

Indigo Bunting said...

Oh. my. god. I am such an mm fan!

Deloney said...

Me too. I think you might have told me the gist of this story before when we were talking about Bowie. I discovered Bowie in the summer between high school and university. My friend Rod (I think I 365'd him) had the first glam records I ever heard -- Bowie, Roxy Music, etc. For me music was fun again -- sexy and silly and all that. I was SO sick of prog-rock (aka pomp-rock) and those California singer-songwriters.

Sabine said...

Thank you both. Have I told this story before? I should start out with "stop me if you've heard this one..."

I've never hear the term pomp-rock before. Prog-rock, yes - and I like some of those California singer-songwriters, which ones did you mean?

Deloney said...

All of them! Oh, I didn't really hate them all, and they weren't all from California. Music was just getting so serious by the early 70s.

As long as I'm here, would you like me to sing something by James Taylor or Jackson Browne? :-)

Sabine said...

Of course I would.

Deloney said...

Hold on, I just heard that it's Tony Bennett's 80th birthday today.

Feel free to join in:

"I left my heart in San Francisco
High on a hill, it calls to me.
To be where little cable cars
Climb halfway to the stars --
The morning fog may chill the air
I don't care..."

crystal said...

California ... the land of the gods :-)

So, did they get married?

Sabine said...

No - it fizzled pretty fast, though we all sat together through a couple math classes after that.

Susan said...

I gather David Bowie was a burglar crouched behind J's sofa?

Nah...I'm not that unhip. Hop.

Deloney said...

ting

(That was the sound of a pin dropping.)

Sabine said...

I know, I know...

Deloney said...

And you didn't read the Annie Dillard books on your vacation. You read the Da Vinci Code! *sigh*

Sabine said...

I tried to get into Pilgrim, but I just couldn't. With two glowing recommendations, I wanted to like that book, but it boooored me. Apologies to you and Susan.

Deloney said...

That's ok. I could never get through Don Quixote.