Sunday, July 30, 2006

The first three pics were taken onboard the Mar II. The rope celtic knot mat lying on the deck, and the lengths of rope wrapped around the wooden thingies (try not to be intimidated by my nautical terminology), just struck me as pretty. Found poetry for a non-poet.

The third is Halifax, viewed from the Harbour. That's Georges Island in the foreground with the lighthouse, Halifax in the background. It would be better if I had a 3-D camera, in the photo one blends in with the other.

The last is back in Peggy's cove. The seagulls in Nova Scotia are huge compared to their Ontario cousins. I assumed this fellow wanted his picture taken, posing like that, so I obliged. I have another shot of him but not so close-up, because I was more interested in the boats than the bird. Are they dories? I'm not sure, but the boats I saw in NS were all working boats - wooden, weather-beaten, looking like they earn their keep. I see lots of boats on the lake, mostly leisure craft. Fiberglass. So different from these ones.






9 comments:

Deloney said...

You've come out of hiding again! I'm sure there's a little story behind each pic, and once you get some wine in your gob you will tell us a few.

Sabine said...

Nah - I'll tell you about them stone cold sober.

crystal said...

Hi M ... you and Del are not around so much lately :-(

Sabine said...

I know, I know... In my case it's temporary. I'm just busy and not finding as much time to be online. Feel free to use my email - I check it every day and have a little thing that pops up to tell me whenever I have new mail.

Indigo Bunting said...

I was in Halifax for 24 hoursish, and I gotta say, I loved it. So did the lumberjack and longshoreman I was with.

Sabine said...

What's wrong, Indigo? Couldn't score a teamster? :-)

Indigo Bunting said...

Folks are always pointing out my shortcomings...

Susan said...

Found poetry? I thought they were phallic symbols (note the name you gave them), and I figured you were drawn to them out of a latent desire to hook up with triplets.

Yes, I would call those boats dories.

Very nice pix, M!!

Sabine said...

My god you're RIGHT! And look at them all tied up like that.

I'm getting hot...